Fort Collins Residential Metal Roofing
Metal Roofing Types
“Standing seam” refers to a particular kind of metal roofing. For metal roofing to be of the standing seam variety, continuous metal panels will be running from the top of the roof all the way down to the eaves, with fastened seams connecting them together. There are several types of standing seam metal roofs. There are double-lock, snap-loc and exposed fasteners. In our opinion, the double lock standing seam metal roof is the best compared to the other types. A double lock standing seam metal roof has concealed fasteners, and individual panels are mechanically seamed together. The concealed fasteners provide maintenance-free roofs while the mechanical seams insure that the roof is watertight.
METAL ROOFING GAUGES
The metal that is used to manufacture these types of roofs comes in three different gauges: 24, 26, and 29 with 24 being the thickest gauge. We only use 24 gauge materials unless otherwise specified.
We offer several types of metal for our standing seam metal residential roofing systems:
- Kynar500 Painted Metal
- Paint Grip
We also offer metal colors by:
Advantages of metal roofing
The seams used to fasten the panels do away with some of the problems long associated with roofing solutions. With metal roofing, there’s actually far fewer seams, and the tougher, more durable standing seams don’t allow for as many potential weak spots for moisture to creep in, being raised a little above the panels. There are also other advantages to metal roofing:
- Expected life. Appropriately set up, a metal roof should last as long as the house, securing out water, surviving high winds, and also easily shedding snow. Metal is immune to fire, mildew, bugs, and rot.
- Weight. Compared to the weight of ceramic tile at 750 pounds each square (an area equal to 100 square feet) or concrete floor tile at 900 pounds per square, metal roofing is extremely lightweight. Many ranges range from 50 to 150 extra pounds per square. As a result of the product’s light weight, you can reduce engineering as well as developing the sustaining structure. If you’re constructing a house or an addition, you could typically scale down or decrease the number of roofing system assistance members.
- Some types of metal roof covering materials may be applied over an existing roof covering without the need for tear-off or extra architectural assistance.
- Rate & simplicity of roofing installation.Most steel roofing products been available in multiple-shingle sections or in 12- to 36-inch-wide panels. An established contractor could mount these quickly. If your roof is removed off as well as a tornado gets on the means, reducing the procedure by a day or two might supply a vital benefit. Clearly, there is likewise considerable labor financial savings if you could ease as well as reduce the duration of roof covering installment.
- Due to the fact that metal roof covering products are noncombustible, they typically have a Course A fire rating (the most fireproof rating). Most metal roofs used over a combustible product such as timber shingles have a lower, Class C score for this factor.
- Heat conduction. Steel shows induction heat from the sunlight, lessening midday warmth gain. This suggests you save energy required for air conditioning during the day. The material itself is low in insulation R-value, metal roofing could be applied over rigid-foam insulation that has extremely high R-values. In addition, lots of systems use a dead-air space between the metal and also roof covering deck to enhance power effectiveness.
- Marginal roofing pitch. Most metal roof covering materials could be set up on gently pitched roofs without dripping. Minimum roof covering pitch usually is 3-in-12 (the roofing system increases 3 inches for each and every straight foot).
- Maximum dropping of rain and snow. Steel roofing is practically impervious to rain and snow because of the method the panels interlock and also due to the fact that the surfaces are difficult and also unsafe. In addition, dark tones of metal roofing promptly warm in the snow, encouraging snow melt.
Disadvantages of metal roofing
Having said that, there can be a few disadvantages to metal roofing. Not as many roofing contractors are willing to install metal roofing, thus potentially raising the cost of your project. And standing seam metal roofing isn’t advisable if your roof doesn’t meet the pitch requirements. Some people don’t like the way metal roofing looks, but then, that’s entirely a matter of choice.
- Cost. The largest downside is first cost. Metal roofing is equivalent in expense to other exceptional materials– from about $150 to $600 per square (100 square feet).
Due to the material’s long-lasting durability, the method is that you inevitably save the distinction (and much more) if you stay in the house for a long period of time and, obviously, you minimize seasonal upkeep. Once again, if you plan to relocate in a couple of years, you probably won’t obtain the return on your investment.
- Noise. For some, the sound of rainfall touching on the roof covering is charming and also homey. In a rainstorm or hailstorm, living under slim sheets of steel is bound to be noisier than living below thick slate or floor tile.
- Denting. Just as your vehicle will certainly dent if a golf ball strikes it, a metal roofing system could damage if big hailstones drop on it. Some kinds are assured not to damage.
You could walk on some steel roofings yet not all of them. As you might think of, metal could be really slippery when wet.
- Marring & treatment. Some painted steel roof coatings can peel off, chip, fade, scratch, or chalk, although nearly all are assured for Thirty Years. Walking on some types, especially those with a granulated-stone surface, may cause wear. Installers have to be careful not to scrape or damage the roofing throughout installation, as well as panels need to be treated with treatment. Unlike standard roof covering, some steel roof shingles systems are mounted from the top down, eliminating the should stroll on them. When mounted, you may should tube off roof covering from time to time to maintain it looking great.
- Leaking. A metal roofing system must be installed appropriately. Roof coverings with revealed bolts are specifically at risk to improper setup. If screws affix through the flat surfaces (instead of the raised ridges), rain water can run down the roof covering and also seep into the screw openings. Consequently, special resistant cleans have to secure around screw heads. If you install this type of roofing, make sure supplier’s guidelines are followed specifically.
- Expansion & contraction. Since steel expands and contracts as it warms up and cools, the majority of new products have securing systems that fit motion. Otherwise, bolts that protect the roofing may tend to come loose. Development and tightening on warm days could trigger a bumpy affect.
- Adjustments. Metal roofing products set up in big panels are harder to change if damaged than private tiles. Likewise, if you remodel or add on to your residence 10 or 20 years from now, it may be challenging to match the material.
- Lightening. Lots of people think that due to the fact that metal conducts electrical energy, it also attracts it. Simply the same, metal roofing systems can be quickly based by a lightning security business.
- Residence fire. Steel roofs are great at protecting against a fire that comes close to from outside a home (such as from flying triggers and also embers), they are not optimal for fires that begin inside a home. With a major residence fire, firefighters could need to cut through the roofing to put out the fire– this job could be much more challenging and also take longer if the house is covered with a metal roof covering.
As with any home improvement, a roof replacement is a big investment and you want to make sure you choose the right kind of roof for you. Call us today to get a free estimate on a new metal roof for your home.